Jul 25, 2018


The Lord is doing good things here. We are blessed to see some of the fruit of the incorruptible seed that has been sown in the hearts of the Bulu people. The congregation of saints here is growing and being strengthened. I am seeing some of the wisdom of the Lord moving us out of this place (physically) for the next season. It has been stirring the believers to rise up and shine as a light in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation.

We were all able to return to the village last week. This was the first time for Kendra in about 6 weeks since she left. There were many tears as the ladies held her. It was very touching. Then we returned back to our other house nearer to town with Peter (a leader the Lord has put in place) and spent three days of fellowship and counseling in Christ. Then Scott and I returned to the village with a couple of the children. We have had lots of conversations and opportunities to preach the gospel…also we have been doing a lot of practical things like fixing well equipment, giving lots of things away, and getting the house ready for its next occupants. It has been a blessed time but very tiring.

I was privileged to baptize one person last week and we plan to baptize four more in two days when we are back in the village…it has been a blessing to clearly lay out the gospel and the call of Christ to forsake all for him in true repentance and for these people to heartily accept the call and salvation which is in Christ. Please pray for these believers. Two of the ladies to be baptized have unbelieving husbands. The one husband is very interested but is not willing to let go of some things in his heart as he counts the cost. Please pray for him…he is very close to the kingdom.

We plan to return to the village tomorrow for our last time before we leave. It sounds like a very packed weekend and we need great grace and strength. We plan to baptize four people (hopefully more!), have a huge feast with lots of people (the cultural way to say goodbye), have communion with the believers, have a service of recognition of an elder that the Spirit has ordained to shepherd the flock here, have a special time for one man who had been backslidden to communicate his repentance to the church (this will involve a foot washing time for him), and then a final farewell. Then the next day Scott and his company fly out, and we fly out the next day.

Thank you for praying for us – we need physical strength as we have had a cold with fevers going through our home here and also because this has been physically exhausting in general and there is more ahead. Also we need to be close to the Lord of all wisdom so we can speak with wisdom and be a blessing to this young church.

The Lord’s blessings to you,


Nov 1, 2016

September/October 2016 Reflections

September/October 2016 Reflections

Your mercies are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness, Oh Lord!

These months have been full, busy, challenging, rewarding, humbling, stretching, and growing!

What a sweet Shepherd we have. He is so kind to continue to shape us and mold us more into His image, to purge out that which does not glorify Him. It is a painful process, but Oh Lord, help us to be soft lumps of clay! Help us to receive the conviction and chastening, and to be yielded and still in the Hands that are always working out of deep and eternal Love.

Many things have been stirring in our hearts and home.

One of the deep desires Tyler and I have is to keep the hearts of our children in the midst of all the busyness of the ministry here. Recently the Lord has again been refocusing our vision for our home. We feel keenly our need of His help in shepherding our rather rambunctious flock! We set aside one week at the beginning of the month to spend time working together as a family on home projects, and didn't go hardly anywhere except to swim together at the ocean. We set aside early evenings together to read Pilgrims Progress, play games, and wrestle (at least everyone but me!).

The fruit of that week has been much more peace in the boys. Since then we have been making it a priority to end our work a little earlier in the day so we can have a little more time together in the evenings before bed. It's been a blessing, and we thank God for helping us to see the need for it.


Also, we are feeling stirred to seek more faith in the ministry to the Bulu people. We are reminded by the still small voice of our Father to not neglect to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. The last thing we want is to be busy serving in different needs here, only to realize we've been building with wood, hay, stubble. The important thing, the one needful thing, is to stay close to Jesus, to seek Him with all our hearts, and to only walk in the works that He leads us into, that He has prepared for us to walk in. With all the many desperate, pressing needs surrounding us, it is easy to take the burden of many things not meant for our shoulders, which we do not have grace to walk in.

The beginning of September was rather tumultuous with a few different fights at the middle/high-school down the path a mile or so. The kids from the neighboring Bulu village attend there along with the teenagers from our village and there is tension between that village and this one. No one was seriously injured, though there were some machete cuts.

Our friend Peter who is the government appointed representative for the Bulu people, was very busy trying to make peace and sort through the problems for a while. It is challenging for him to know how to deal with the situation, because there is enmity between not only between the kids, but their parents.

He and Tyler were able to pray together and seek the Lord for His answers to the problems.

Shortly after this, a big group of Seventh Day Adventists came in and camped out for a week down by the school. There were several Doctors and nurses, and they held free medical and dental clinics.

Our part of the village was pretty quiet that week as a lot of people were spending time down there.

Another big event was a huge bride price ceremony for one of the leaders in the village. This kept everyone quite busy for weeks leading up to it, as most of the families of the village had to try to make a big chunk of money to contribute for the ceremony.

For a week or so many of the villagers were awake at night beating drums and performing different parts of the ceremony.

The man who was fulfilling his duty to pay the bride price (for his wife of twenty plus years), is a Christian, and we felt deeply concerned by some of the ceremonies him and his family took part in. Many of the customs surrounding such events are intertwined with spirit worship, and are not fitting for a Christian. Tyler had many conversations discussing this with different people during those weeks. The Christians will often agree it is not the best thing to do, but they often feel trapped by the family and tribal expectations. We discern this is a danger for the souls of those who want to be followers of Jesus, and are praying earnestly for boldness and fervent love to Christ for the many who are caught in this web. The church meetings at our house were sparsely attended during this time, as everyone was too busy preparing for the custom.

Tyler was able to install the first community well near one of our neighbors homes. The first pumping was a very special event. It is such a blessing to see people able to fill their buckets and water containers with clean, cold water. Tyler is close to completing the second well now, a little further down the path. There were many memorable moments as he and our neighbor guys hand drilled these wells. The difficult thing for me was trying to keep the boys on task for morning chores and school when they so desperately wanted to be with Daddy! In the afternoons, as soon as they were released from “prison”, they would often run off to join him in his work. They are learning a lot about well drilling and installation right along with Tyler, which is so neat! Tyler is on a big learning curve and is doing a great job of researching the different problems he runs into, and problem solving. He has also been learning to weld as a result of needing different parts for the well drilling. God is giving him wisdom as he seeks to be a blessing.

The two older boys decided to try their hands at dugout canoe making, and with some help from neighbors, they each have a cute mini canoe. This was a fun experience, and Judah has now moved onto making a full size canoe, as his is a bit small for him.

One of the activities that Tyler and the two older boys have been doing a lot more of is spear fishing at the reef. They have a great time together, and come back with some cool looking reef fish.

The two little guys and I hang out to swim by the shore, which they love. They are both getting pretty good in the water, and Keen often holds his breath and goes under. The kids here are often amazing swimmers by the time they are only three or four as they spend so much time in the ocean.

There were several births this month that I was involved in.

One day a grandmother came to get me to help her daughter-in-law who was in labor. I grabbed some supplies and headed down the trail, but by the time I and several neighbor ladies arrived, the people with me announced the baby must've been born already. When I asked how they could tell, they said “They're running the dogs”. I watched as a group of mangy, skinny dogs tried to go under the house of the woman who had given birth, only to be run off by several girls.

The grandmother said the baby was already born and the mother was down at the ocean washing up.

I carefully climbed the rickety ladder into the hut. It was empty except for a naked baby girl lying in the middle of the floor, with the placenta still attached. As I walked across the floor, the rough cut boards shifted as I walked (they weren't nailed), causing the tiny baby to get bumped around. I picked her up gently, cleaned her up and cut her cord. She was not breathing very well, so I cleaned her airway and wrapped her up as she was cold.

One of the woman and her grandma gave her a bath, then when her mama was changed and sitting down in the house cook (with about twenty others who were there for the excitement), we got her to nurse. I sat with them visiting for awhile, then headed to the beach to join all my boys who were swimming and spearfishing. As I walked, I felt so humbled. I have always been so cherished and well cared for.

At our boys births there has always been someone to take care of me and the baby. To whom much has been given, much will be required! Help me to be a willing servant, Oh Lord! You have given me so much!

One evening several weeks later as our family was sitting down together reading Pilgrims Progress, we heard someone calling for us outside. Tyler went out to check it out, but the group of several teenage girls insisted they needed to talk to me. When I came out they said a friend of theirs had pain. Which is the polite way of saying someone is in labor (I've learned this through trial and error). I ran upstairs, grabbed my bag, kissed the boys and we all prayed together, then headed off with the girls.

The young mother was in labor with her third child, and the labor seemed to be progressing well. I set up my birth supplies on a bed/table made out of thick branches under a tree. I had her lie down on our make-shift birthing table and used my stethoscope to check for the baby's heartbeat so I could figure out it's position. But I could hear nothing- no heartbeat, no placental noise, nothing. It was completely quiet. I thought maybe the baby was lying with it's back to her back, as I could not find its back- which I thought might make it hard to find a heartbeat- especially as all i had was a stethoscope.

The labor continued for several hours and the aunties and grandma who were there to support her and I all sat chatting about various things. It was a beautiful, quiet night. I got out my birth book and taught the ladies a few things. One of the middle aged woman – a widow- has been with me at nearly all the births I've attended here, and she has a heart for the mothers. She is the one they usually call. So she is very eager to learn. I don't know a whole lot myself, but more than anyone here, as they haven't had the opportunities I have.

Finally the baby started to come, but it was being born face first, which is a very difficult position, and it got stuck. No matter how hard she pushed, it wouldn't budge. I was praying out loud for wisdom. The baby's face had an odd coloring and I felt it was imperative it was born soon, but my book doesn't talk about how to help birth babies in this position. It just says get them to the hospital. Which doesn't help me much being 3 hours away from the hospital, and the village truck wasn't even leaving for another nine hours- twelve hours from help.

As I prayed, I remembered when I was a young teenager, a midwife telling me a story of a baby who was stuck. I was able to apply what she had done and rotate her just a little bit, and she was born quickly. But as I looked at her limp little body, I knew something was terribly wrong. I checked for a heartbeat, and there was none. Her cord was lifeless and disintegrating. I realized it wasn't just my lack of experience and inadequate equipment that had kept me from hearing the heartbeat during labor. This baby had been dead for a while. I gently wrapped the baby girl in a towel. I felt really shocked. I was relieved that I hadn't had anything to do with her death, but felt really sad and shocked.

The reaction of the mother, aunties, and grandmother, was really eye-opening. There were no tears. They seemed to have the attitude- “Oh, this one isn't going to live...”- not in a careless way, but in a resigned way, as if they were almost used to stillborn babies. Later I asked the woman who often attends births here if stillbirths are common. She said “Yeah, plenty of babies are born dead- and plenty die soon after they are born, too.” As I held the baby and we sat there taking it all in, It started to rain- so we all headed for the smoky little palm roofed kitchen house. A big pig was asleep for the night in one corner with puppies snuggled up to her right next to a bed that someone sleeps on, and the rain dripped through the roof (so the ladies carefully arranged the best chair under a part of the roof that didn't leak for me to sit on), but we sat and talked as the mother washed up and had a bit of food at the house nearby. The ladies sat discussing why the baby had died. They said it was because the mother carried too heavy of buckets of water (It bends the baby too much), or maybe because she yells at her kids and gets mad a lot (that will kill a baby, they say), or maybe because she smokes (which almost everyone does, here- sometimes marijuana, sometimes other drugs, along with chewing betel-nut). Plenty of unmerciful opinions. I was glad the mother wasn't sitting with us- but I'm sure she'll hear them, too.

Later I went and checked on her in the house as she lay down to sleep with her four year old (her husband was in a neighboring village). I talked with her and prayed for her and tried to comfort her, but she seemed like a stone. Maybe her emotions are too deep, and I am a foreigner. Oh but my heart cried for her. After checking on her, I headed carefully down the precarious ladder.

Several of the ladies escorted me home on the dark paths through the rain. They stopped at a house to borrow an umbrella so I wouldn't get wet, but assured me they were just fine when I tried to share.

After I got home I took a shower, and tried to wash off the memory of a lifeless little body in my arms. I woke Tyler up and poured out the story to him, and he sweetly listened, and prayed with me.

I am so grateful for God' wisdom, and I need more of it. He has been so faithful to help me through each challenge.

I have been struggling a lot with exhaustion these last few months of pregnancy, and often feel like I can't possibly make it through another day with the many demands. This experience gave me a new perspective, and I am gratefully cherishing each movement of our precious little one.

The same day that this baby was born, some of the men from our village and the neighboring Bulu village held up (at gunpoint) a boat full of men and women. They had parked at a small Island a few miles from our village on their way to town.

The Bulu men stole what they had and violently abused the women before releasing them to continue their journey by boat.

It is unclear who all was involved as so far no one is talking much. The whole Island tribe of those who were mistreated by our people are up in arms, and threatened to kill any Bulus that they saw in town. Several of our neighbors' teenage children were in town at this point, and our neighbors called them with strict instructions to stay hidden at the house of their relatives and not to hang out in town.

Their has been much fear here in our village, not knowing what sort of backlash to expect.

There is a spirit of tribal violence that remains unbroken in the spiritual world here. It may look different than it did 50 years ago, but it is the same spirit. We pray God would heal this land of the spirit of murder and revenge.

One of the sweet blessings that the Lord gave us during this season was when a mother of five brought her sick baby to our home. She has brought this beautiful baby girl several times in the last few months for different ailments. I told her I had no medicine that would help her, but I could pray to Jesus for His help. She immediately assented, and said “When you put your hands on her, she always gets healed.” I said that was not because of me, but because of God's spirit of healing coming upon her baby. She agreed, and said we should remember to thank God. I was so encouraged to see her faith as we prayed together over the little one.

Another encouragement the last few months is two boys of around twelve and fourteen (from two different families). They both seem to have an earnest heart for the Lord, and we have had some neat times with them. One of them comes over often just to hang out with us, and the other, who is from a part of the village further away, often comes to our fellowship meetings, and eagerly drinks in everything. We pray that God would raise them up to be mighty leaders of truth and righteousness for their people.

It's been a blessing for our boys to have some boys around with a desire for what is good and right.

We have been earnestly seeking God's will for where to have the birth of our new little one (due the 18th of December). We've pursued different options, but after much prayer, have decided to come back to the U.S. for this next season of having a new little one join our family, and for a time of refreshment and ministry among our dear family and friends.

We are all very excited and looking forward to this time. The boys have been preparing Keen to go to “Big town”. All Keen knows is the town of Kimbe which is reached after many bumpy hours on a large flatbed truck full of people. So Judah has told him we will pay our bus fare to the boss crew of an airplane, fly through the air, and land in “Big Town” America.

I saw Keen's favorite little weed-wacker toy out in the garden yesterday, and he seriously informed me that he had thrown it out there 'cause we're going to America. He apparently felt that it was unneeded!

We are very much looking forward to good fellowship and seeing all our dear ones, cold weather (snow!), hamburgers, pizza, salad, and Mexican food!

When we first started talking more seriously (several weeks ago) about coming, I told Tyler it would take a large miracle for the doors to open financially, and for us to be able to do what we needed to here before leaving. Tyler responded we've been living in a miracle for a while now, seeing God meet all our needs! As we've committed this trip unto God, we have seen many miracles, and we stand in awe of our Father.

We recently had to renew our work permit here, and as a result all our passports are on the mainland of PNG. Please join us in prayer that they will be returned to us in time for our planned departure on November 18th, as we must leave the country no later because of my advanced stage of pregnancy. We plan to return to PNG in September 2017.

We would also appreciate prayer for our boys as they readjust to life in America.

May the Lord be glorified!

P.S. Please pray for Kendra because she is having some health trouble with the pregnancy and we need to get a medical clearance before we are able to fly.

Aug 30, 2016

August Update (Kendra)

August Update (Kendra)

Many greetings from Papua New Guinea! What a blessing to have so many who love us and keep us in heart and prayer. Thank you so much! We do not have a lot of time for communication, but please know you all are never far from our thoughts.

What an abundance of sweet blessings God has poured out since I last wrote. Our dear friend Joyful has served much, pouring herself out in helping us. She has done a lot of laundry (enough to get callouses from all the wringing!), cooking, dishes, and storytelling, plus some sewing, mending, and may other tasks, cheerfully singing as she goes. We all have been so blessed and encouraged. We tearfully bid her goodbye several days ago (now weeks) after three busy months together, and are so grateful for the time God gave us fellowshipping and working together!

The night after she left, Keen told me he needed “Boypol” (his closest rendition of her name) to carry him upstairs. When I reminded him Joyful was on an airplane going back to America, he announced he was going to go get her off the airplane and bring her back.

Our baby is continuing to grow and is becoming quite an acrobat. We all are eagerly anticipating meeting this new little one. I recently overheard Keen and Berean discussing among themselves who is going to hold it when we go to town on the truck. They agreed that they will sit next to each other, and each will hold half- Keen had dibs on the babies head and planned to give it a head scratch. =)

We have been reading through Genesis as a family, and laughingly decided we should call him Gad if the baby is a boy – as Leah did with her fifth son “A troop cometh!”.

I have continued to feel amazingly good, not even feeling more tired than my usual self. God has been so gracious.

The boys are growing and learning, and providing lots of opportunities to seek God for more wisdom. As they are all talking now, we have a lot of arguing in our home. We are seeking God's answers for us.

They also have tons of fun together. I walked out to their fort area to check on them as they played one day, and found all four of them busy drilling their own wells. Keen's well was the shallowest, and it got deeper with each boy- Judah's being the deepest. They all want to be like Daddy. =) Tyler has been starting to drill wells in the community- today he and two of the boys are working on one at our neighbors home. It is dry season, so even with the nice showers we've had, the water holes are drying up, and some people walk for several miles each day just to get drinking water. Some of the water holes they walk to are contaminated, too, so we feel the need for wells is great. It's been such a blessing for Tyler and the boys to do this together. They watch videos on well drilling, buy supplies in town, and work on the wells together, and the boys are learning a lot- along with Tyler!

My dear husband installed a sink with a counter and drain on our porch upstairs, which has been SO nice! A bucket with a spigot to wash hands with, and our water filter bucket with a spigot are both set up over the sink, and we haul several buckets upstairs to keep them filled every morning. Josiah is in charge of keeping the water pumped and hauled for that setup, and does a great job.

Tyler also setup our solar to handle more power usage and bought a small washing machine and freezer for me! Yeah! The washing machine has saved hours already, and makes the clothes so clean! Judah has taken it upon himself to pump and haul the forty five gallons or so of water needed, and to wash a load of laundry every morning! I feel so blessed.

Our garden is growing luxuriously, with lots of kaukau, tapioc, pumpkin, melons, beans, bananas, ginger, greens, and even some tropical lettuce enjoying a rather wet dry season. We have had a lot more rain during this dry season, and have not needed to water the garden as there has been a nice little shower nearly every few days.

The weeds are also enjoying it, and I am continuing to try to find a good solution for mulch.

The village life is busy as usual. There were several weeks of mourning after the death of a middle-aged man in our village, and the “house cry” was held next door to us. We were kept awake many nights by the singing and wailing, and had a very active, full neighborhood with the many friends and family who came over that time.

The day that the house cry was closing up, a close family member of our next door neighbors (who lived in Kimbe) died, which started another several weeks of mourning with a lot of people coming to sit down at our neighbors house. We attended the funeral down the path a little ways. It was a huge event, as the woman was a prominent teacher in Kimbe, and had a lot of friends and family. There were several hundred people, but it was different than every other funeral we've attended, in that there was not a lot of intense weeping and wailing, but a more dignified and organized time.

The day that the house cry was being finished for this woman, I took a walk to the upper end of the village after being called to a birth. I got there too late, and mama and baby were doing great by the time I arrived. I checked them over and left instructions for cord care, then headed farther up the village to check on a little girl who had been sick with a high fever (most likely malaria) for at least a week when her mama brought her for help several days before. When they had come I had prayed over her and given some suggestions on some supportive care, then told her to meet me at the road the next day and I would help her get to town to get checked. When they never came I was concerned, so decided to go check on her. When I arrived, her Mama said that her daughter was just fine after I prayed over her. She said they went home, and the sickness just left! Praise be to God.

Right next door to where I met this woman, a two month old baby girl had died the night before.

Her parents had brought her to our home for help when she was only a few days old, as her cord was bleeding. We had prayed over her and applied some medicine to stop the bleeding, and it had slowed down. They later brought her to the hospital to have it checked, and the medical workers gave her a blood transfusion for the blood she'd lost. Then she seemed fine until she developed a swollen cheek & yellow skin and eyes. Her Mama took her to a clinic not far from here, and there she died.

I was heartbroken when I visited the home of her family and saw the grief of the young mama in losing her firstborn. One of the scenes from the dream God gave me leading us to the Bulus flashed through my mind as I saw her weeping and writhing in the dust. It was identical to a moment in my dream when I saw a mother doing the same thing as she wept for a child she'd lost. Oh, my Lord's heart goes out to these people! May I have His same heart. I looked around at the faces of the many woman gathered by her home, and saw a look of helpless resignation on many faces. It startled me, but as I looked around I started mentally counting how many of these woman had lost children... and many, I knew, had. Many of them whose stories I don't know have probably, too.

I laid my hands on that sweet baby girl's still little body and asked God to breath into her the breath of life again. The weeping and wailing surrounded me as I sat there for quite a while, seeking God's will, as Keen sat beside me watching the drama around us with wide eyes. My wise Father did not give me my request, and I committed her unto Him. As I held her grief-stricken mama, I thought of the hands of God holding that innocent baby, and I felt comforted.

Next, Keen and I headed off to check on another little girl who had been sick, and her mama who had been beaten up by her husband and had come for bandaging. We found the little girl greatly improved, and sitting up eating. The Mama was not doing so great with a tendon in her hand which had been cut swollen badly, so I gave her what help I could. Some neat opportunities have come up to share God's love and power with this sad home. Please pray that a fear of God would fall upon the souls of these dear people! There is so much more joy for a home to have, if they will only come to their Father.

I arrived home after my extended walk to find Joyful keeping our two big boys entertained with stories, as they all diligently worked on laundry at the well (Tyler and Berean were in town).

We have seen God continue to move in bringing healing to several children.

Six weeks or so ago a little girl came with her mom and grandma. She was around 2 and a half years old, and had been unable to walk for several months due to pain in her ankles. She also had quite a few swollen tropical ulcers on other parts of her body. They had taken her to the hospital a while before, and were given antibiotics and a blood test order. They came home without ever going to the lab to get the blood test, and had finished the antibiotics with no results, so they brought her to me. I was concerned she maybe had polio, but as I asked questions, she had none of the other symptoms. Tyler and I laid hands on her and prayed over her, especially renouncing any hold Satan had on her (her grandmother, who brought her, is called on for performing witchcraft to bring healing, and was noticeably uncomfortable as we prayed).) Then I gave them medicine and bandages for the sores, and said we would help them get to the hospital to get the blood tests if they wanted to go.

They never followed through on meeting us to go to the hospital, and I was really concerned for that sweet little girl. We prayed often for her over the next several weeks, but I was unable to check on her as they had gone back to their village (which is on the tip of our peninsula, and inaccessible except by boat).

Recently I met the mothers sister, who lives in our village, and I asked her about that little girl. She said that she got better after they brought her here, and that her sores are gone, and she has no more pain in her ankles and is running around playing! She said I must have good medicine, to which I replied that I had no medicine for her severe joint problem, and all I had done was to ask God to touch her, and He had! Oh, our hearts were full to bursting!

Another day a little boy of around one and a half was brought with severe burns over his whole back and on his sides. Hot water had accidentally spilled on him, and his skin was blistered, and some of it was coming off in sheets.

I was very concerned for him with such a huge area covered in such severe burns, so gave them the little bit of herbal burn cream I had, gave specific directions for care, and prayed over him. Over the next few days I tried to help them get to the hospital, but it never worked out (a combination of the village taxi truck being unavailable and lack of motivation on their part). As the medicine ran out I mixed raw honey and burn herbs together, and gave them that as it was all I had. We kept praying for him and he healed up rapidly and very well! Our God heals.

Several times in the last few weeks children in our neighborhood have come down with cerebral malaria. One day I saw a grandmother carrying a little boy of about six or seven up our path. His Mama followed along. He was unconscious and showed signs of cerebral malaria, so I quickly gave him what help I could as I prayed fervently for him. The next day we helped them get on the truck to the clinic several hours from here. It took several days for him to wake up, but we are so thankful, he is now doing well, praise God!

Yesterday a friend of ours came up the path with his little two year old in his arms. He had his whole head wrapped tightly, and blood was all over his little body. We carefully unwrapped the blood soaked rags to find a three – four inch long, deep gash along his forehead. He had fallen out of a tree while climbing with a pair of scissors.... We cleaned it and butterfly bandaged it closed. The parents were so sweet and concerned. I'm so glad it didn’t hit his eye. It's kind of scary being the local emergency room. I started praying as soon as I saw them coming up the path, as it looked like he had cerebral malaria from a distance. I feel very out of my comfort zone, and am very glad for the medical training I've had- but it's way too little for some of the stuff around here, and I am so glad I am a servant of the Great Physician!

We (Joyful and I), also had the privilege of delivering two more babies this month.

One night I was awakened by our neighbors voice calling me from outside my window. She said her daughter-in-law was in labor (who had been hauling large loads of water that very afternoon). So Joyful and I grabbed our stuff and headed over. It was a short, easy delivery, with a big healthy baby boy who was born faster than I've ever seen. He breathed fast and nursed well, so we had an easy job. We gave the mama some food and headed home to sleep the rest of the night.

The next delivery was quite a walk from our house. The young mother to be had gone to stay in town to await her baby's delivery, but after several days her husband came to retrieve her, so we were called. She had a slow, long labor, so we walked back home to do some housework and cooking with instructions to call us when things progressed. A few hours later some girls came to get us, and we sped back up there, while Tyler held down the fort. The young mother was walking with two of her her friends to support her, and was not quite ready, so we sat down to visit with the family and friends gathered. We also prepared a bed in the kitchen house by laying a few layers of clean banana leaves on the surface of a rough hewn platform. The kitchen house was three sided, so the woman hung up a few curtains to give a little privacy from the twenty or so people milling about. As we waited for the little fellow Joyful and I had some fun cultural experiences. The people in that part of the village use mostly their native language, so we couldn’t follow most of what they were talking about, although we could surmise they were talking and laughing about us sometimes! As the time drew closer for the baby to be born, about seven of us ladies crowded into the kitchen house with the mama. The baby was in a funny position and wasn’t coming very fast, so I recommended a different position for the mother. At that the other ladies got concerned that something was wrong, and shortly the girls mother brought in a handful of white pulverized shell powder- which the people here mix with the buai that they chew. She put it behind the girls back, then circled it around her twice. Joyful and I realized too late that they were working witchcraft on her. The next time they brought it in to perform the incantations (which are whispered), I stopped them, and said if I was calling on Jesus to help, and they were calling on the devil, my God might not hear me- I said we have to just call on one or the other, and I'm calling on Jesus. They agreed to that, and threw out the powder. Joyful and I called on the Lord, and soon the baby boy made his appearance with a nice healthy cry. We praised Him together for delivering the lives of these two precious souls

For the last few weeks, we have woken up quite a few times to loud noises on our property, such as branches breaking. One night I heard someone walking around right outside the house, and another night some neighbors came to check on us because our dog was barking, and saw a man running off. Tyler and I both had times when we would wake up suddenly with a gripping fear. We talked to our Christian neighbors about it, and they were quite sure someone is trying to work witchcraft on us. What a blessing to know greater is He that is in us than He that is in the world. We are praying against the powers of darkness and pressing into our Lord. We are encouraged to PRAISE God with our whole hearts and watch Him fight the battles for us.

One of the commonly used substances here for working witchcraft is ginger. When people come asking for it, we must ask specific questions before giving it to them, because many times they've wanted it to work their witchcraft. We try to take those opportunities to teach a better way. (update: We have ripped out all our ginger and are praying about whether or not we should have any. We no longer give any out.) Recently a little girl was brought by and old woman for malaria. I gave her some suggestions for treatment, then I prayed over her, and as I began praying, the old woman seemed to be shoved backwards away from me. I was so startled I paused and looked at her, and then remembered she is one of the holders of the secret incantations, and I was facing a real spiritual battle. A few days later I heard from some of my little friends that this girl was still sick and they were preparing to do witchcraft to get rid of the evil spirit making her sick. I sped over there and called earnestly upon God to deliver her, rebuking the devil. The next day she was fine. Later on that week her mama brought her to our little church meeting, and said thank you for helping her little girl.

We feel earnestly our need of more faith in this battle. The battle belongs to the Lord, may we be faithful channels.

The bible study and church meetings have been going well. We are praying for an increased hunger in the souls. One man in particular seems to be very close to the kingdom. Please keep him in prayer. He is weighing the cost of following the Lamb.

May the Lord grant you and us more and more of His sweet Spirit!

Jan 8, 2016

some photos

some photos

above is my first fish that I shot with a spear gun.small, but there is always a beginning.

this is our house

All the boys and Mama doing school work.

Below our little friend apoo